Re: Unresolved symbol errors with 2.4.9 kernel & recompiled modules

Subject: Re: Unresolved symbol errors with 2.4.9 kernel & recompiled modules
samuel@ibrium.se
Date: Wed Sep 05 2001 - 17:14:26 MDT

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 11:16:50AM -0400, Matt Larson wrote:
> I solved my own problem, using some info from MOL list archive (sorry
> for the extra list traffic, should have searched there first). This is
> probably a problem that everyone who updates a kernel using the benh
> source (and maybe other sources) will have, so in case anyone else hits
> this, the solution--as per Samuel's suggestion--is to recompile the
> kernel with the "Set version information on all module symbols" option
> set to no. Once I did this, MOL started up just fine.

The problem is caused by a broken modutils package
(/sbin/genksyms is missing). Kernels compiled with
the broken package installed won't be able to load modules
unless versioned symbols are turned off.

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908174