Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops

Subject: Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops
samuel@ibrium.se
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 05:39:33 MDT

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 12:18:53AM -0700, Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick wrote:
> First, let me congratulate the MOL team on an excellent job. I was
> able to get MOL running on my TiBook in only a few hours, following
> the directions in the user guide, and some posts from the archives to
> get iptables routing my Linux networking to MacOS. Runs like a champ.
>
> Now for the question: I'm doing tun0 for TCP/IP networking, and eth0
> for AppleTalk, and I've got netatalk running on the linux side to
> share my linux files with MacOS. Only problem is, this only works
> when the laptop is actually plugged in to the network. If I unplug
> it, appletalk fails.
>
> So I though I'd try setting up my Appletalk networking via the
> loopback device (lo) since when I ifconfig it, it shows an Ethertalk
> address and all, but when I add netdev: lo -sheep to my molrc, on
> boot MOL says it can't open lo.

I haven't tried to run sheep_net AppleTalk on lo. I'll investigate
what goes wrong. It would be a nice solution.

> Is is possible to get Appletalk networking (for purposes of file
> sharing between OSes) working even when the laptop is not plugged in?
> I searched the archives, and found someone else who mentioned this
> problem, but I couldn't find a followup with a solution.

I think you should be able to run AppleTalk on a dummy0 device
(I don't remember if I have tried this).

As an alternative, you could use the old tap interface. Note that the
tap device supports AppleTalk only if it is compiled with multicast
support (you need to to uncomment a #define in the tap.c file).

It is possible to route Apple Talk between tap0 and eth0, but
this will create a AppleTalk zone for MOL. A bridge setup
would be preferable, but I haven't seen such a solution.

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908174