Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops

Subject: Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops
From: Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick (rafial@well.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 09:21:13 MDT

>On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 10:14:32AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
>> Check out the AppleTalk control panel in MacOS. It should offer a
>> selection of two different ethernet devices - one maps to tun0 on the
>> Linux side, the other to eth0. Selecting the one corresponding to
>> tun0 should allow you to use AppleTalk no matter what the state of the
>> external connection is.
>>
>> If you use AppleTalk solely for accessing the Linux side of your
>> laptop from the MacOS side, you'll be fine if you just remove the eth0
>> device from /etc/molrc. Otherwise, you may want to shortcut the
>> switch using the location manager.
>>
>One problem here is that tun0 is not seen by netatalk
>(since the tun interface is created when MOL starts).
>Possibly one could start netatalk from the
>/usr/lib/mol/bin/tunconfig script.

Right, I'm getting no joy from the tun0 interface, and when I examine
it in Linux, I see it has not been configured by netatalk. I'll mess
around with trying to start netatalk in the script.

> I think you should be able to run AppleTalk on a dummy0 device (I
> don't remember if I have tried this).

Sounds like a promising approach. Can you give me any hints about
how one gos about about making a dummy0 device?

Eric: I want to live in a world where software doesn't suck //////////
Richard: Any software that isn't free sucks ////////// rafial@well.com
Linus: I'm interested in free beer ///// <http://www.3roses.com/> ////