Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops

Subject: Re: MOL, Appletalk, and laptops
From: Wilhelm *Rafial* Fitzpatrick (rafial@well.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 15:48:35 MDT

> > I think you should be able to run AppleTalk on a dummy0 device (I
>> don't remember if I have tried this).
>
>I do remember, and I have tried, and it works. Both for IP and for
>AppleTalk, by the way.

I successfully configured a dummy0 device, but when starting
netatalk, first it reported "dummy0: may have trouble with multicast"
and then atalkd failed to bind to it, claiming it couldn't register
the workstation name. So it seems there is some extra trick involved
here to get Appletalk running on dummy0. Thoughts?

I can however report that sheep happily opens the dummy0 device,
which is will not do for lo, so that is a step in the right direction.

-wilhelm

Eric: I want to live in a world where software doesn't suck //////////
Richard: Any software that isn't free sucks ////////// rafial@well.com
Linus: I'm interested in free beer ///// <http://www.3roses.com/> ////