Re: Time travel..

Subject: Re: Time travel..
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2001 - 13:50:37 MDT

At 1:48 PM -0500 9/20/01, Matt Christian wrote:

>I know this was addressed for Adam but I have been having a similar
>problem. I have a Power Computing PowerCenter Pro (originally 210 MHz
>604e) upgraded to a 390 MHz G3 via an XLR8 accelerator card.

What is the card's bus frequency and PLL multiplier setting? At 390
MHz in a PowerCenter Pro, it seems likely that it's 60 MHz * 6.5.
(This is important -- see below.)

>> What does the "Dec frequency" line in the mol-log say?
>
>Mine states:
>DEC frequency: 14 MHz, 140:10 mticks/usec

PowerPCs have a high precision built-in timer called the
"decrementer", which decrements at 1/4 the bus frequency on most PPCs
(including the G3 and the 604e). If MOL and the MacOS running inside
of MOL think the decrementer runs at 14 MHz, and it is actually
running at 60/4 = 15 MHz, you've definitely got a source of clock
drift.

--
Tim Seufert