Clock slowdown (was: Can't run MOL on Titanium...)

Stefan Jeglinski mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 14:46:22 -0500

>If I remember correctly, this problem is about a bogus
>timebase in MacOS. Everything is OK except that interrupts
>occur too seldom resulting in a poor user experience.
>
>As far as I know, this problem only occurs on more or less
>"odd" hardware (certain accelerator cards etc.) and probably
>only with certain versions of MacOS.

This box indeed has a PowerLogix G3 upgrade card. I only have used
9.1 on it (everything was fine with 8.6 except that file sharing made
MOL very unstable and I had to go to 9 to fix it).

>What I think happens is that the calibration MacOS performs
>fails miserably (tweaking the MOL timebase with
>"timebase_frequency: 0xNNNNNNNN" line to /etc/molrc
>reportedly had no effect).
>
>I'll try to fix this problem eventually, but it isn't at
>the top of my priority queue.

Fair enough, but I'm reading between the lines that you know of no workaround.

What's odd is that *one* time MOL started up without the clock
slowdown, and I remember that during that one time while MOL was
booting I was pinging the MOL IP address. I left it [running fine]
for maybe 60 days because I was afraid to lose it. When I finally had
to reboot the machine for other reasons, I tried all kinds of things
at MOL boot like pinging the IP but I was never able to reproduce the
one success. I doubt this is useful info, but I thought I'd relate it
anyway.

Thanks for your efforts Samuel. Glad to see your presence again.

Stefan Jeglinski