Clock slowdown (was: Can't run MOL on Titanium...)

Stefan Jeglinski mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 19:13:35 -0400

>>For me, the clock ticks off 1 second every 6 real seconds, yes, but the
>>issue is not the clock per se. The MacOS seems to be actually running at
>>1/6 speed. IOW, this is not just a cosmetic issue, but a real performance
>>issue too. It happens with OS9, but not OS8.6.
>
>If it's at all like what I used to see on PowerMac 7500s, what runs
>at 1/6 speed is anything that uses a timer.  Since MacOS has a lot
>of subtle timed GUI animation, it all runs at 1/6 speed, creating
>the illusion of horrible performance.  This includes everything from
>the normally small delay when navigating down through hierarchical
>menus to the amount of time a button is highlighted after you've
>clicked it to the speed of the zoom rects drawn when you open a
>folder or application.  MacOS uses timers to make such GUI effects
>feel consistent across a wide variety of Macs, and therefore they
>all run slow on MUL if you have the timer bug.

Agreed, all GUI functions are excruciatingly slow.

>Performance (for me) was perfectly normal otherwise.  I.E., if you
>start up the MacOS RC5 client, it crunches at normal speeds.

Interesting. I do not find this to be the case in my narrow usage (as
I mentioned earlier in the thread, I run mol (at this point) only to
run the SIMS mail server on MacOS). I can see a definite performance
hit in the operation of the mail server, which has no GUI to speak of
and never needs a menu selection etc. It is almost purely Open
Transport driven - it listens for connections and turns around and
makes its own, and is now quite sluggish compared to its operation in
MOL under 8.6.

    Stefan Jeglinski