Clock slowdown (was: Can't run MOL on Titanium...)

Timothy A. Seufert mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:34:27 -0700

At 12:20 PM -0400 4/8/02, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

>For me, the clock ticks off 1 second every 6 real seconds, yes, but the
>issue is not the clock per se. The MacOS seems to be actually running at
>1/6 speed. IOW, this is not just a cosmetic issue, but a real performance
>issue too. It happens with OS9, but not OS8.6.

If it's at all like what I used to see on PowerMac 7500s, what runs
at 1/6 speed is anything that uses a timer.  Since MacOS has a lot of
subtle timed GUI animation, it all runs at 1/6 speed, creating the
illusion of horrible performance.  This includes everything from the
normally small delay when navigating down through hierarchical menus
to the amount of time a button is highlighted after you've clicked it
to the speed of the zoom rects drawn when you open a folder or
application.  MacOS uses timers to make such GUI effects feel
consistent across a wide variety of Macs, and therefore they all run
slow on MUL if you have the timer bug.

Performance (for me) was perfectly normal otherwise.  I.E., if you
start up the MacOS RC5 client, it crunches at normal speeds.
--
Tim Seufert