mol-0.9.62 startmol says MOL kernel module is not loaded when it really is

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:25:32 +0200

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 03:27:30PM -0400, Bill Fink wrote:
> I'm having a serious problem with the just released mol-0.9.62.
> I built mol and mol-kmods from the source RPMS which worked fine.
> I do a "startmol --loadonly" in my /etc/rc.local which also worked
> fine:
>
> The only things that look strange are that it indicates I'm running a
> multiprocessor Kernel which I'm not and that I don't have altivec when
> I do.

Actually, the last line is just an explanation what the '-noav'
and '-smp' suffixes means (Hmm. I think I'll just drop those two
lines in the next version).

> % lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> sheep_net               5008   0 (unused)
> mol                    39136   0 (unused)

This is suspicious. When I compile the mol module, I get a
size close to 45000. If I do 'strip mol.o' (discarding
symbols) I get a size of 38992. A stripped kernel module
will result in exactly the behaviour you are describing.

Could you try 'nm /usr/lib/mol/modules/0.9.62/2.4.xx-yy/mol.o'
too see if the module indeed lacks symbols? Also, could you
try building MOL from the tar?

Cheers,

/Samuel