mol-0.9.62 startmol says MOL kernel module is not loaded when it really is

Bill Fink mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 18:55:07 -0400

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, Samuel wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 03:27:30PM -0400, Bill Fink wrote:
> > I'm having a serious problem with the just released mol-0.9.62.
> > I built mol and mol-kmods from the source RPMS which worked fine.
> > I do a "startmol --loadonly" in my /etc/rc.local which also worked
> > fine:
> >
> > % lsmod
> > Module                  Size  Used by
> > sheep_net               5008   0 (unused)
> > mol                    39136   0 (unused)
>
> This is suspicious. When I compile the mol module, I get a
> size close to 45000. If I do 'strip mol.o' (discarding
> symbols) I get a size of 38992. A stripped kernel module
> will result in exactly the behaviour you are describing.
>
> Could you try 'nm /usr/lib/mol/modules/0.9.62/2.4.xx-yy/mol.o'
> too see if the module indeed lacks symbols? Also, could you
> try building MOL from the tar?

Hi Samuel,

% nm /usr/lib/mol/0.9.62/modules/2.4.18-ben0-bill/mol.o
nm: /usr/lib/mol/0.9.62/modules/2.4.18-ben0-bill/mol.o: no symbols

When I build MOL from the tar file, I get an error from /bin/sh that
it can't find kuname.  I think this is because when I'm root I don't
include '.' in my PATH for security reasons.  I just verified this
by building MOL as just me, where I do have '.' in my PATH and it
no longer got the error about no kuname.

I did a make install and now the mol.o module does have symbols.
One new problem is that the startboing sound is all messed up as
is the simple beep alert (if you play it several times sometimes
it's not a short single beep but more of a stretched out beep beep).
However playing a QuickTime movie trailer seemed to be OK.

						-Thanks

						-Bill