Run Darwin programs on LinuxPPC?

Matthias Urlichs mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:22:10 +0200

I just got thinking...

Given that Linux supports multiple kernel personalities, it should be
possible to write a kernel personality (and a Mach-O object loader) to
make Darwin binaries run under LinuxPPC.

Some of the sytem calls are bound to be different (resource fork access,
Mach message passing, ...) but I do wonder how far this could be
stretched...

So instead of running Mac OS X inside MOL, which seems somewhat difficult
(memory management!), we could directly run the binaries. If that's too
difficult for some reason, an alternate approach would be to recompile
Darwin to run as a threaded Linux program, much like the Usermode Linux
approach.

Thoughts, anybody?

--
Matthias Urlichs     |     noris network AG     |     http://smurf.noris.de/