MOL future plans

Charles Warwick mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:19:13

> On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 07:44:17PM -0500, Romeyn Prescott wrote:
> > >
> > >I'm curious about the OSX/Darwin motivation. MOL is useful because,
> > >for example, it can bridge a productivity gap, either 'real' because
> > >some good app is only available in MacOS, or 'imagined' simply
> > >because a user feels more comfortable in MacOS. But I tend to see
> > >running OSX on MOL on LinuxPPC a bit like running a Windows emulator
> > >inside of Redhat-x86 inside of VPC - interesting to do, but what
> > >real purpose does it serve? What am I missing here?
> >
> > I have to say I question this as well.  Given that Mac OS X is an *ix
> > as well, someone wanting the functionality of both Mac OS X and X
> > apps is better off using Mac OS X as their OS and XDarwin to run
> > their X apps.
> > In short, I question the wisdom of having MOL - OS X compatibility
> > anywhere near the top of your development list. If they need X Apps
> > AND OS X apps, people should be doing it the other way around.
> >

> Actually, I more or less agree :-). Making it possible to boot
> OS X within MOL is not a priority. When I eventually get around to
> do it, the main reason will be the fun of it.

I have a reason to disagree, but it is not because I am thinking differently
to you, but because of a new development along the Amiga front.  Amiga is
bringing out new hardware which is based on a G3 PPC - and the developer
version
is scheduled to arrive shortly.  Many of the people who are purchasing this
board are interested in running PPC Linux and also in running Mac
applications.

The reason they are choosing this board over Apple hardware, is because of the
added flexibility of running new Amiga OS4.0.  It also may, (or may not) be
cheaper
for that person than buying an Apple Mac.  But the cost of the flexibility
of running
the new Amiga OS as well as Linux and Mac on the new AmigaOne hardware is
cheaper
than having two machines.  (That is given that MOL could do this for them -
otherwise
there are no native OS X drivers for the AmigaOne hardware)

I should also point out that Amiga OS4.0 will not run on Apple hardware, as
it has
a specific ROM chip to ensure that is runs only on specific hardware - and
hence using
a Apple Mac would not achieve the desired result.

The AmigaOne is being initially shipped with TurboLinux PPC while an Amiga
OS4.0 beta
will be available for download.  Amiga OS4.0 arrives a little later on.

Sorry for the diversion of thought there, but there are a lot of people
that will be
purchasing the AmigaOne that would be EXTREMELY interested in running Mac
OS X on it
as well.  If MOL can achieve this, than I am very sure you will get a much
larger
user base ;-)

I personally am interested in getting this working as well (I am purchasing
the developer
board) and would be willing to work on it.  Is there anyone out there that
is willing to
give me a helping hand?

>From this point of view, there is lots of wisdom in putting a high priority
on Mac OS X
support.  With the hardware due to ship very shortly, many people will come
looking!

Regards,

Charles Warwick