File system

Jens Schmalzing mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
16 Apr 2002 10:46:03 +0200

Hi,

Gérard Degrez writes:

> I was wondering whether Linux can be installed on an UFS partition
> (created using OSX' Disk Utility) or whether it is compulsory to use
> a ext2 partition (created using the A/UX format of OS9's Disk Tool?

The short answer is:  No.  No.

The long answer is that you cannot use UFS partitions to install
Linux.  Linux' support for UFS is read-only, which means that you can
read the data stored in Mac OS X from Linux.  On the other hand, you
are by no means limited to ext2 as your Linux file system.  Depending
on the distribution, the installer may also offer xfs, ext3, reiserfs,
whatever.  Your best bet is to just use Disk Utility for creating your
Mac OS partitions and leaving some free space to whatever partitioning
tools your Linux installer has to offer.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!