Legality of MOL on non-Apple HW

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:51:44 +0200

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 06:18:47PM -0700, strobe anarkhos wrote:
> Is it legal to run MacOS on non-Apple licensed hardware?
>
> This has not been an issue in the past since other than
> a handful of BeBoxen all PowerPC-based PCs have been
> licensed to run MacOS by Apple.

This is a difficult question. Apple's "shrink wrap" Software
License accompanying MacOS states (I think) that the
computer must be Apple branded or Apple licensed. The legal
status of this kind of agreements seem to be in doubt though.
Which country you live in might be a factor here.

> However various non-Apple PowerPC PCs will soon be in the
> market...

Well, I'd say that this remains to be seen :-).

> ... and it ought to be clear whether it will be legal
> to run MacOS (via MOL) on them.

Agreed.

Cheers,

/Samuel