Improved X11 driver, testing needed

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:39:44 +0200

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 09:26:36AM +0200, M?rten Segerkvist wrote:
> Works like a charm. The only difference I've noticed so far is that the
> initial black screen sits there for about one or two seconds before
> it splashes up with mac blue, which it didn't use to do. Probably due
> to some framebuffer allocation?

I think the redraw of the (black) framebuffer occurs in the middle of the timer
calibration performed by MacOS. The calibration is retried until a stable
result is obtained, hence the delay (this delay might also be noticable
if there are background processes competing for processor time).

Refreshing the window immediately when it is opened (and not
at the first vsync) ought to remove the delay.

> Keyconfig was easy to use and understand, I would however wish for
> some function to 'reset' the keys to normal.

OK. I'll add a reset function.

> And perhaps 'standard' profiles for english, swedish, klingon etc...
> Wouldn't it be possible to take use of something similar to the
> standard X keymapping?

The problem is that the keymappings are not as standardized on the ppc
side as on i386. Different distributions use slightly different keycodes.
On the other hand, the keymapping is language independent. I think I'll
add something similar to:

	"YDL 2.2 International Keyboard (103 keys)"
 	"MDL 8.2 US Keyboard"
 	"Suse 8.0 US Keyboard"

However, I'll need some help collecting configurations from various
distributions.

Cheers,