MOL 0.9.64 on an oldworld mac clone

Allan Fields mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:03:29 -0400

On August 1, 2002 06:15 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 05:52:26PM -0400, Allan Fields wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've had some amount of luck with MOL after I grabbed a ROM image using
> > the handy (and surprisingly simple) ROM Grabber tool.  I first attempted
> > to use the TomeViewer approach, but that ROM didn't work.
>
> You can (newworld) boot from the MacOS install CD and install MacOS from
> within MOL to a free partition (or to a disk-image).

OK, yup, I installed the newworld ROM image in the System Folder from the
install CD and changed it over to newworld booting.  It solves all the
problems plus it boots 10 times faster...  This is faster than it boots
natively! :)  Now Internet Explorer and the Finder are really solid.  Also no
more mouse problems or network buffer overruns.  The clock is less likely to
stall and quicktime doesn't crash.  It's neat that something as CPU intensive
as ReBirth works.  Essentially this means this machine can now perform 2
roles at once.
[ http://webhome.idirect.com/~afields/snapshot6.png -- ReBirth & mol output ]
[ http://webhome.idirect.com/~afields/snapshot5.png -- IE working and ROM
image ]

> No... your system folder won't contain a NewWorld ROM.

I just added it in using TomeViewer on the Mac OS Installer Tome to extract
the image.

> > This machine won't boot using any of the Open Firmware booters
> > and I'm wondering if the ROMs aren't of a special design versus an
> > Apple 9500 ROM set.  (MOL bootstrapping/initialization takes
> > about 10-20 seconds on this machine.)
>
> That is, it worked if you commented out the oftree line?

Nope, I had the 8500 oftree enabled.  What I was reasoning is that the
ROM-image wouldn't work with MOL perfectly since it had some differences from
a pure Apple ROM, if that's a possibility.  If you want any more info about
my machines OF I wouldn't mind poking around for you.  But now it's running
the newworld oftree fine.

> > Other problems include mouse errors with window focus and shading,
> > controls not being clickable (interfaced as USB mouse), total mouse
> > button lockups, network applications that tend to freeze up but can
> > sometimes still be force-quit, clock stalls, sound output freezing Mac
> > OS, and general stability issues with some mac applications.
>
> I believe there is a problem with the interrupt handling in the oldworld
> setting.

I would agree it was an interrupt or memory issue of some sort.  Maybe being
a larger ROM issue.. but it's fixed now.  =)

> Cheers,
>
> /Samuel

Thanks for help/great coding, MOL is very cool...
	Allan