MOL 0.9.64 on an oldworld mac clone

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:30:07 +0200

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 10:03:29PM -0400, Allan Fields wrote:
> It solves all the problems plus it boots 10 times faster...
> This is faster than it boots natively! :)

Actually, I've been playing around with a boot accelerator.
Basically, MOL remebers which disk sectors was read during
the last boot and loads them into the disk cache asynchronously
before MacOS needs them (the load is done in a manner that minimizes
the seektime and maximizes throughput).

On a freshly installed 9.1, the startup time is reduced with about
6 seconds. I believe the gain will be larger on machines with slow
harddisks and/or a lot of extensions. At least it will make benchmarks
against the "real" MacOS look good :-).

/Samuel