startup disk doesn't work on this mac model

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:00:26 +0200

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 11:17:53AM +0200, Yvon Thoraval wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've put the MacOS ROM into my systeme folder, however when starting mol from
> linux side (ydl 2.3) i get the following error message of macos at boot time
>
> The start-up disk doen't work on this mac model. Use sofware install to updta
> this mac. th only button :: RESTART
>
> what should i do ?

Install MacOS from within MOL (you can boot MOL from the install CD).
If you don't have a spare partition, you can install MacOS to a disk
image. This is how it is done:

1. Create an empty file of the appropriate size. The following
will command will create a 200 MB file:

	dd if=/dev/zero of=molimage bs=1024 count=204800

2. Add a line

	blkdev:		/path/to/molimage -rw -force

to /etc/mol/molrc.macos. By default, MOL only exports HFS volumes; the
force flag is needed until the image has been initialized.

3. Setup /etc/mol/molrc.macos for booting from the install CD.
Actually, session 1 is configured to boot from CD by default so
starting mol through 'startmol -1' should do the trick.

4. The installer will detect the uninitialized disk and ask
you if it should be formatted.

The same technique can be used to install MacOS on spare
partitions. However, the partition won't show up in the "Real"
MacOS unless one changes the partition type using pdisk
and update the disk drivers in Apple's disk formatting
utility (hrm... I don't remember the name of this app,
probably something like 'HD SC Setup' or 'DiskTools').