Virtual Memory Settings in Mac OS

Francois Taiani mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:23:53 +0200

Hi Sascha,

apparently my freezes were caused by some obscure bug in the virtual
memomy emulation of mol. The solution I was suggested by Samuel, the
original developper of mol, was to deactivate the virtual memory in
MacOS (in the apple menu, then in the config menu, the "memory" entry),
and allocate more memory to mol in .molrc (I put "ram_size: 125", and
it's fine for what I do in MacOS).

Since Linux has its own swap, and mol its own virtual address space, you
don't need worry about exhausting your main memory. I think you can
correctly see the "ram_size: 125" as an upper limit on the memory mol is
allowed to used, but in most cases mol will stay far below it.

Now this solution has serious drawbacks if you want to regularly boot
directly in MacOS and do normal work without mol, since you won't have
any VM management at all in the bare MacOS :(

Furthermore, I'm still using a 0.9.63-x version of mol (actually an
intermediary source snapshot, so it's something between -63 and -64),
and those VM bugs should have been corrected in the 0.9.64 version you
have. It would be interesting if you could try the above workaround and
report the result to the mol mailing list
(mailto:mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org).

Viel Erfolg !

Francois

--
Francois Taiani              Dependable Computing
http://www.laas.fr/~ftaiani  and Fault Tolerance