Virtual Memory Settings in Mac OS

Allan Fields mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:03:29 -0400

On August 12, 2002 03:23 am, you wrote:

> Now this solution has serious drawbacks if you want to regularly boot
> directly in MacOS and do normal work without mol, since you won't have
> any VM management at all in the bare MacOS :(

Maybe you can make an Applescript to toggle VM and then shutdown Mac OS.
That way you enable VM and shutdown MOL using a simple menu item or double
click, ready for when you reboot into bare Mac OS.  The script could also
toggle extensions and CDEVs by selecting a profile in Extension Manager for
instance.  If you really want something cool make a script that will do all
of the above (except shutdown), then have it log into Linux locally (before
shutting down Mac OS obviously) and issue a: `shutdown -r +1 "Rebooting into
Mac OS" ` maybe via sudo for instance.  After that point MOL can be stopped
and the machine will actually reboot.

Also an idea is to create a Extension manager profile with startup and
shutdown items that toggle the VM and simply choose via space bar at startup.
 This may be a good idea, because it could allow you to better tailor each
Mac OS environment on the fly.  But by the time VM was enabled, you would
still need to reboot again with this approach anyway.  Best yet, is if the
memory control panel was excluded from the MOL set, I don't know if that
would work.

On an unrelated note, I just got a kernel panic w/ mesh -- maybe it's a
LinuxPPC thing, but it was in MOL at the time.  Hmm...

Allan