MOL on PowerBook Wallstreet -

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 12:57:55 +0200

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 11:28:15AM +0100, Chris Dennis wrote:
> I'm getting closer to getting MOL (0.9.64) to run on my PowerBook G3
> Series 233MHz (Wallstreet 1998), with MacOS 9.2.1.
> There seems to be some confusion still (not all of it mine) about the
> oldworld/newworld issue.  For example I've seen it written that "MacOS 9
> is newworld" with the implication that I can run it in newworld mode.
Correct,

> But my hardware is definitely oldworld (see
> http://support.suse.de/sdb/en/html/olh_ppc_machines.html) whatever OS I
> run.

MOL does not really care. It is only indirectly affected by the
fact that the the MacOS installer won't install the "MacOS ROM" file
on non-newworld machines.

> Nevertheless, I tried MOL in newworld mode by extracting a "Mac OS ROM"
> file from "Ethernet Update 1.0".  I got as far as a happy mac, and then
> the error message "This startup disk will not work on this Macintosh
> model. Use the latest installer to update this disk for this model."

Yes... the ROM from the "Ethernet Update 1.0" should only be used
with MacOS 9.

I recommend you boot from the install CD and install MacOS from
within MOL (the MacOS ROM file will then be installed in your
system folder). Another possibility is extracting the MacOS ROM file
from the 9.2.1 installer (putting it in the system folder should
do the trick).

If you don't have a spare partition, you can always install
MacOS on a disk image (I posted instructions how to do
this earlier this month).

> "startmol --oldworld" with a rom-grabbed image from my machine seems to
> start OK, but the screen stays black indefinitely, despite mol using
> over 80% of my CPU.  The output is given below.

That is to be expected. MOL does not support the oldworld
ROMs present in the PowerBooks.

> All the instructions I've seen talk about running old (pre 8.6) OSes on
> oldworld machines.

Yes, because 8.6 and later can be run in the newworld setting.

Cheers,

/Samuel