Mouse problems

marciot mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:10:40 -0600

I don't know if the following applies to you, nor do I know if MOL depends on
"gdm", but the symptoms are something I've seen before outside of MOL. But
here is something to try:

See if the mouse work ok under the console in other programs. For example, try
this:

   1) Switch to a virtual console (Cntl-Alt-F5)
   2) Run "emacs"
   3) See how the mouse behaves
   4) Quit emacs (Cntl-X Cntl-C)
   5) Return to X (Cntl-Alt-F7)

The purpose of this experiment is to see whether the mouse operates correctly
under "emacs" when in console mode. If it does not, then the particular
problem you are having is a common one (in fact, it happens on the Linux box I
am sitting right now) that has nothing to do with MOL. It has to do with the
console mouse driver (gdm) and an incompatibility with PS/2 mice.

Do a "man gdm". If I recall correctly, it has work around for this problem.
Once you get it fixed and the above experiment works, then I imagine it would
work under MOL too.

Marcio Luis Teixeira