Installing MOL

Quentin Mason mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:08:49 -0400 (EDT)

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 02:15:38PM -0400, Arch & Cath wrote:
> > configure:573: checking host system type
> > [snip]
> > configure:883: checking for gcc
> > configure:996: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
> > configure:1012: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory

> Jo, this helps a lot. You are missing /usr/lib/crt1.o, or even more, the
> C Library: Development Libraries and Header Files. I do not know which
> system you are on; search for the libc devel packages and install them.

rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/crt1.o
glibc-devel-x.x.x-someversion

You should install glibc-devel to match the value of "rpm -q glibc".
That is very bad packaging on the part of whoever provided your gcc -- it
is useless without glibc-devel and that should be listed as a dependency.
The redhat 7.3 systems at work do:

#            rpm -q --whatrequires glibc-devel
compat-egcs-6.2-1.1.2.9
kgcc-1.1.2-40
gcc-2.96-85
#            rpm -q -R gcc
binutils >= 2.9.5.0.41
cpp = 2.96-85
glibc-devel
/sbin/install-info
/bin/sh

To compile MOL you will also need various things from the source to the
running kernel.  It is prbably easiest to get kernel-source-x.xx.rpm to
match the value from "uname -a".  To use g++ (to compile C++) you may also
need libstdc++-x.x.x.ppc.rpm, though I do not know whether MOL uses C++
code (I doubt it) but many programs do.  Good luck, cos MOL is definitely
worth it.

Q.