iPod and Linux

Jesus Climent mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:09:02 +0200

--MAH+hnPXVZWQ5cD/

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 12:09:13PM -0700, Rob Pfile wrote:
>=20
> the iPod is essentially a firewire hard disk formatted with
> HFS+. there is a hidden folder which contains all of the iTunes
> databases and mp3 files. One of the files down there is an
> iTunes-format playlist which represents the whole iPod library. you
> can copy files into the hidden folders but they will not show up in
> the iPod menus unless the playlist is updated as well. so when iTunes
> moves a song into the iPod, it copies the mp3 file and updates the
> playlist.
>=20
> but if you want to use it just as a hard disk, then you should be able
> to do this from within MOL. i think i had mounted it read only, so i
> never tried actually copying files to the ipod under MOL.
>=20

Would it be easy to fix MOL and include an iPod entry in the config file
pointing to such disk device (the one mounted under linux) and trick
MacOS to think is an iPod?

That would make many people happy... ;)

--=20
Jesus Climent | Unix System Admin | Helsinki, Finland.
http://www.HispaLinux.es/~data/  |  data.pandacrew.org
Please, encrypt mail address to me: GnuPG ID: 86946D69
FP: BB64 2339 1CAA 7064 E429  7E18 66FC 1D7F 8694 6D69
Registered Linux user #66350 Debian 3.0 & Linux 2.4.19

I say you are Lord, and I should know. I've followed a few.
		--Arthur (Life of Brian)

--MAH+hnPXVZWQ5cD/

--MAH+hnPXVZWQ5cD/--