iPod and Linux

Rob Pfile mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:09:13 -0700

the iPod is essentially a firewire hard disk formatted with
HFS+. there is a hidden folder which contains all of the iTunes
databases and mp3 files. One of the files down there is an
iTunes-format playlist which represents the whole iPod library. you
can copy files into the hidden folders but they will not show up in
the iPod menus unless the playlist is updated as well. so when iTunes
moves a song into the iPod, it copies the mp3 file and updates the
playlist.

but if you want to use it just as a hard disk, then you should be able
to do this from within MOL. i think i had mounted it read only, so i
never tried actually copying files to the ipod under MOL.

rob