mol-general digest, Vol 1 #221 - 15 msgs

Ethan Blanton mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:37:35 -0500

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

Jason spake unto us the following wisdom:
> >> Who's marco and why can't I read email from him?
> >=20
> > He's a helpful member of the mol-general list, and because your mailer
> > is underpowered.  His mail was 100% correct and displayed fine for me.
>=20
> I view mail in MS Outlook Express for the Mac 5.0.5, SquirrelMail 1.2.6 o=
ver
> the web, Apple Mail in Mac OS X 10.2.2, and Mozilla Mail 1.0 on Linux Deb=
ian
> Woody 3.0. None of marco's messages display properly. Oh, wise one, are a=
ll
> the email clients underpowered?

Well ... yes.  :-)  However, you mention below that you get the
digest, which is likely why the less underpowered of the mailreaders
on that list aren't decoding it.  (Outlook Express failing to decode
it doesn't surprise me at all, as it violates any number of standards
on *sending* mail, too ... Apple Mail I have little experience with,
but Moz mail failing to decode it is surprising.)

> My guess is that I can't read them because marco's base64 encoded messages
> aren't able to be parsed inline in the daily digest of the mol-general
> mailing list. Which, if my guess is correct, any archives of Marco's base=
64
> messages won't be able to be read either. I find archived mailing lists v=
ery
> helpful when troublshooting. Is there anything that can be done to remedy
> this?

His messages are base64 encoded because they contain non-ASCII
characters, and his mailreader has decided that base64 encoding is the
most reliable way to ensure the message is not corrupted so the
detached signature can be properly verified.  You should be able to
pipe the message through uudecode to view it.  (The GNU sharutils
version of uudecode, at least, supports base64.)

If the MOL digest archive is a proper RFC-822 mailbox or a multipart
MIME document with message/rfc822 attachments, you can probably
convince a mailer (I know mutt will do this, dunno about other
mailers) to treat each message individually and thus decode it
properly.  Actually, I think mutt does so by default.  :-)
Unfortunately, most digests are not so nicely constructed.

Ethan

--=20
And if I claim to be a wise man / it surely means that I don't know.
                -- Kansas, "Carry on Wayward Son"

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj--