Linux on OS X

Michael D. Crawford mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:38:31 -0500

I don't know, but it may be straightforward to port User Mode Linux to OS X.

On their website, they discuss the possibility of using it to run Linux on
other operating systems.

However, I think they also say that it's presently for x86 only.  So likely you
would need to do some powerpc assembly code programming.

I'd love to do it myself but I won't have the time for the forseeable future.

User Mode Linux is at http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

What UML does is run a Linux kernel as a regular user process on a Linux
system.  The basic concept could be ported to other OSes so you could run Linux
under OS X or even Windows.

UML works so well that ISPs are using it to set up virtual hosts where they can
pass out root passwords to all their users.

Regards,

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/
crawford@goingware.com