Bogus networking

Ross Williams mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:58:35 -0500

Hello,
I'm new to this list. I started working with MOL two days ago, and it
really is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm having a bit of
trouble, however, with networking.

 From Mac OS 10.2.2 I am able to ping my host and even www.google.com,
but I cannot access web pages, SSH, or anything that requires a
sustained tcp connection. DNS obviously works fine because I can
resolve any host I choose. Curiously, I am able to retrieve the source
of www.google.com if I telnet to it on port 80 and issue the "GET /"
command. It still will not load in the web browser. I believe that
eliminates iptables MASQUERADE problems, though.

I ran tcpdump on the linux side, and I came up with traffic to
www.google.com that listed the source ip address as "truncated ip". I
don't have those logs at my fingertips because I am writing this mail
from OS X. I'd be glad to send them if someone requests.

I know that this issue has been brought up on the list for months, now,
but I've yet to see a definitive solution. No one has seemed to mail
back and say, "Yes, it's working."

I'm running MOL 0.9.67 on Debian Woody with a stock 2.4.18-newpmac
kernel on a Dual USB iBook. I am aware that the 0.9.67 seems to be a
bogus version number or at least not released on the maconlinux.org
site. If someone suggests, I could try 0.9.65.

Thanks,
Ross Williams
overhacked {at} bigfoot {dot} com