OS X ver. 10.2.3 Hangs under MOL

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:31:07 +0100

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 04:42:49PM -0500, J. De Salvo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to boot Mac OS X 10.2.3 under MOL ver. .0.9.65,
> but still no luck. OS X ver. 10.2.2 booted just fine, but
> since upgrading to 10.2.3, I get nothing
> except for a blue screen hang and this message repeated
> endlessly under MOL:
>
> "Read from unimplemented SPR #1014"
>
> Anyone know what this message means, and how I might go about
> repairing things for 10.2.3 to boot?

Well, SPR #1014 is the MSSCR0 register (Memory Subsystem Control Register0).
I don't remember exactly the purpose of this register (and I don't have
my Motorola manuals at hand), but it is hardware related and
MOL should just make sure the register behaves properly.

Until this problem is fixed (if it is indeed the implementation of the
MSSCR0 register that is at fault), a possible workaround is putting
mol in G3 mode. I believe only 74xx processors has the MSSCR0 register...

To put mol in G3 mode, add a line

	processor:	G3

to the /etc/mol/molrc.osx file.

/Samuel