Performa 6400 with MacOS 9, new- or oldworld?

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:30:23 +0200

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 06:51:32PM -0400, Kin Wong wrote:

> I am confused about using newworld versus oldworld
> boot.
>
> I have installed YellowDogLinux on my Performa 6400/180 PPC603e.
> The mac partion has MacOS 9.0.4 installed.
>
> I can't boot MOL using either newworld our oldworld.
> With newworld, MOL complains that there is no ROM file.
> (There is no ROM file in the system folder even though I am
>  running MacOS 9 ?)

The MacOS ROM file is only installed on newworld machines.
You have two options:

	- Boot from the install CD (which is equipped with a
	  newworld ROM) and install MacOS from within MOL
	  (recommended).

	- Extract the newworld ROM from the 'Ethernet-Update-1.0'
	  or from the MacOS installer (using tomeviewer) and place
	  it in the System Folder.

The later method will probably work well for MacOS 9.0.4, but in
general one should be careful about manually selecting the Mac OS ROM
file. If there is a version incompatibility, MacOS might
become unstable.

In general, I recommend install MacOS from within MOL on oldworld
machines.

The oldworld booting mechanism is not recommended for 8.6 or
later, but the 6400 ROM used to work with MOL. (I don't have
an image of this particular ROM though, so I haven't been able
to test it lately).

Cheers,

/Samuel