Kernel Panic on startup

Dan Brunet mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 06:43:59 +1000

> I'm assuming its a kernel panic, but it might be something
> else. It doesnąt respond to anything, even control-command-power, so the
> only way to get out of it is to power down the machine (PowerMac 4400) and
> start it again

Which version of the Kernel are you using? I'd suggest benh's 2.4.19-rc1-ben0
(http://www.ppckernel.org/benh-devel/linux-benh-devel-2.4.19-rc1-ben0.tar.gz)
or newer.

After many many months of bad luck with the 4400 I'd found that every 2.4
kernel would crash at random.. until this release... but then I bought a new
G3 card expecting it to work under Linux (doh!)

If experience has taught me anything, the 4400 and Linux do not mix.

Hope you have some better luck.

Regards,
Dan