Hard disk partitions required for Yellowdog?

Chuck Soper mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:55:03 -0700

Hello,
I am about to re-partition my Macintosh's hard drive. I have a desktop G4. I
have a book, "Linux for your Mac", that recommends three partitions for
Linux alone. I think that information may be old.

The instructions listed at:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/guide.shtml#prep
say that I can use a single partition for Linux, but imply that it should be
the first partition. I want OS X to be my first partition.

I plan to boot from the Mac OS X 10.1.3 CD and use the disk utility to
re-partition. I'll create four partitions including one Unix partition for
Linux.

So, my questions are:
 - Can Linux be installed on a single partition?
 - Can it be installed on any Unix partition (not the first partition)?

Thanks,
Chuck