Serial port bridge

Quentin Mason mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:53:08 -0500 (EST)

> > If you run netatalk on the linux machine, then you can use PAP to export
> > that printer in linux to the MOL session through appletalk.  Or perhaps
> > simpler, run a printer daemon and do it over tcp/ip between the two.  The
> > easiest way is to setup a postscript printer in MOL and then copy the
> > postscript to linux [an appleshare partition?] and print from there.

> Thanks for your ideas, but, to be honest, I understood only half of it.
> It was the half that made me install netatalk, which works fine, now.

Great.

Explicitly 3 solutions:

> But I am not quite sure, what to do next. I probably have to set up a
> printer in mol, but which?

1) Part of the netatalk package is papd ~= printer appletalk protocol
daemon.  You can try configuring this to recieve jobs from MOL over
appletalk [look in the chooser in MOL], and send them to a linux print
queue.

> I'm using a HP-500 compatible printer over
> the serial port. Or is there anything like "print-to-ps"?

2) Yes there is.  This solution would let you print-to-ps, copy to linux,
print there.

> The printer driver I'm using under MacOS can write a .pcl-File unto a
> Linux-Partition over Appletalk. But how can I process it?

Ahh,  try making a new printer and choosing "Generic Postscript" as a
driver.  This is definitely available in MacOS 8.6

3) Setup an "LPR" print queue.  Print to the IP address of linux on port
9100 [standard printer-port].  Setup linux print daemon to recieve on port
9100 and print jobs to the serial printer.  Probably the more complex
option.

Good Luck,

Q.