mac-on-linux freeze (probably connected to sheep module)

Stefan Jeglinski mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 5 May 2002 11:31:41 -0400

>I'm using mol 0.9.6x [x={1,2,3}] with a 2.4.18
>kernel, and MacOS 9.0.4, and I'm experiencing some deadlock troubles I
>don't fully understand:
>
>Now and then MacOS freezes, and the only escape is to brutally force mol
>to quit under Linux. This freeze problem seems only to appear after I
>used the network interface in MacOS, either by connecting to an
>AppleTalk server, or by surfing the web. I'm using the sheep_net module
>to access the network with a separate IP address under mol. (I'm not
>using the tap device.)
>
>Would anybody have experienced any such thing and could advice me some
>start of a solution ?

I used to use mol running 8.6, and when I connected to it from
another box via Appletalk and copied any file to or from, mol would
go into a pseudo-freeze. That is, it thought it was in a perpetual
Finder-menu mouse-down state, which rendered mol unusable, although
not a freeze in the normal sense. mol was otherwise fine as long as
no Appletalk transfers were made.

Upgrading to 9.1 fixed this. I never had an intermediate 9.0.4 on it.
So while your description and mine are only vaguely similar, you
might consider going to 9.1 at a minimum.

Stefan Jeglinski