mol feedback + question about G4-Altivec support

David Stanaway mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
18 May 2002 00:11:53 -0500

--=-PDYWKH//l8+7kxIRD358

Hi there,

I am very happy to have found mol, and it works very well for me..
(Comparing it to experience with Win4Lin on x86 especially)

There are a couple of things that I had some trouble with however...

1) CD-ROM support.
For a long time, I was not able to read anything off the CD-ROM at all..
(Even with -force in the blkdev: entry), I only got it to work when I
enabled SCSI emulation for hdc.=20

Is SCSI emulation required for CD-ROM support in mol? I didn't read this
anywhere and found it out by accident (Trying to get Audio CD's to play
which is another unrelated matter).

My machine is a PowerBook G4 . Early version with a DVD-ROM (But no
CD-RW :/).

Even with this, I need to have the CD I want to read in mol inserted
before I start mol.

2) sheep_net.
This is probably more a debian package issue than a mol issue.
/dev/sheep_net is not created or checked for by the debian mol packages.
I could find no documentation for the major/minor character device
numbers for this device in the user manual (Which is not in the debian
package.. only online), and only found it by searching the list
archives.=20
Maybe information about creating this device node could be added to the
Networking section of the user manual.

3) Altivec support/ Processor type specification does not seem to work
for me.=20
mol uses a G3 processor type, and reports that altivec support was:
AltiVec unavailable or disabled by user - reverting to G3 mode

In my /etc/molrc I have:
processor:		G4
disable_altivec:	no

Is this all I need?

I can provide my full config file and the full output of startmol if it
would help.

Anyway.

Thanks again :) Keep up the good work.

--