debian user, /etc/mol question (have checked the list archives [some])

K Clark mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:17:24 -0400

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 01:50:42PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ken Clark writes:
>
> > ok, so i have been away from mol awhile. i came back and osx is supported.
> > awesome. first problem i had was a mismatch with my kernel modules after
> > apt-get upgrading.
> >
> > fixed that. the kernel module matches the mol binary.
>
> What exactly was the problem and how did you fix it?  I am asking
> because there are mol-modules packages that are supposed to work with
> the kernels included in Debian.  It would be bad if they didn't.

when i first apt-got mol mol-modules-source to fix the binary/kernel module
mismatch, i didn't realize that /etc/molrc had been deprecated for
/etc/mol/... when i did realize it, i erroneously rm'd everything in
/etc/mol. so it was my fault.

the documentation for mol sorta lags, and i couldn't find an answer with the
little bit of googling i did.

the mol-modules do work, and flawlessly. my approach to getting it going was
my problem.

> > i had problems with startmol -- got an error about unable to open
> > /etc/mol/session.map so it did a touch /etc/mol/session.map WAS this
> > wrong?
>
> This file is included in the packages I built and uploaded.  Can you
> check why it was missing on your system?

i cp'd the stuff in /usr/share/doc/mol/config to /etc/mol and all is well.

while i was battling this, i apt-got removed mol mol-modules-source, and
cleaned out /etc/mol, and rmdir /etc/mol, THEN, re-apt-got installed them.
this didn't create the directory&contents of /etc/mol

...on Unstable/Sid.

thanks once again. off to work.