Problem with mol on 7024-E30 - solved!

Mati Ustav mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:18:10 +0300

mol-general-admin@lists.maconlinux.org wrote on 14.10.2002 22:37:50:

> This is definitely due to the copying of the non-existent OF
> device tree (I appreciate the symbolic backtrace, thanks).
>=20
> Fixing this is trivial. I just poured half a cup of coffee
> into my laptop though, so at moment I don't have ease
> access to the source. I'll push a fix if/when the keyboard
> starts to function properly again... So far I have recovered
> the use of most keys but the 'fn' key seems to be stuck in the
> down position and the alt key has turned into a mouse button :-).

S%=A4t happens, I've been there myself when my old ThinkPad and some orange=
=20
juice met each other :(

>=20
> In the meantime, you could probably fix the problem by commenting
> out a line in main/src/prom.c (probably in prom=5Finit()). As an
> alternative, you could make the function in src/kmod/Linux/misc.c
> which is used to copy device tree nodes return NULL.

That was an easy one! I did comment out the calls to do=5Fprom=5Fcopy=5Fnod=
e in=20
src/kmod/Linux/misc.c, the function prom=5Fcopy=5Fnode now looks like this:
static int
prom=5Fcopy=5Fnode( char *dest, struct device=5Fnode *dn, int bufsize )
{
        int ret;

        if( !dest )
/*              return do=5Fprom=5Fcopy=5Fnode( NULL, dn ); */
                return 0;

        if( verify=5Farea(VERIFY=5FWRITE, dest, bufsize) )
                return -EFAULT;

/*      ret =3D do=5Fprom=5Fcopy=5Fnode(NULL, dn); */
        ret =3D 0;
        if( ret < 0 || ret > bufsize )
                return -EFAULT;

/*      do=5Fprom=5Fcopy=5Fnode( dest, dn ); */
        return 0;
}

And it WORKS!!!! I was able to boot the MacOS 9 install CD and install=20
MacOS9!
But console video is incredibly slow :-( It takes about 5-6 seconds to=20
draw the folder opening animation...
What can I do about it? Console video is supposed to be the fastest,=20
right? The Matrox G200 in my box works othervise pretty good under=20
linux...

VNC video is reasonably fast, though. I haven't tried xvideo yet...

It's great watching an old RS/6000 running a modern MacOS!

Thanks a lot, Samuel!

PS. Should I worry about the following lines?
Unknown processor id (0009)
Running in PowerPC G3 mode
Warning: CPU node missing from hardware tree!
The calibration will probably be wrong... will try running anyway.
Please contact your favorite MOL developer about this problem.

BR,
Mati