Problem with mol on 7024-E30 - solved!

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:51:50 +0200 (MEST)

> That was an easy one! I did comment out the calls to do_prom_copy_node
> in  src/kmod/Linux/misc.c
> And it WORKS!!!! I was able to boot the MacOS 9 install CD and install
> MacOS9!
> But console video is incredibly slow :-( It takes about 5-6 seconds to
> draw the folder opening animation...

If the open-folder animation is slow then MacOS hasn't got
the calibration of the DEC/TB register right.

> What can I do about it? Console video is supposed to be the fastest,
> right? The Matrox G200 in my box works othervise pretty good under
> linux...

It doesn't have anything to do with actual graphics performance.

> VNC video is reasonably fast, though. I haven't tried xvideo yet...
There shouldn't be a difference; at least not with respect to
the open-folder animatons etc.

> PS. Should I worry about the following lines?
> Unknown processor id (0009)
Harmless.

> Running in PowerPC G3 mode
Good.

> Warning: CPU node missing from hardware tree!
> The calibration will probably be wrong... will try running anyway.

This might actually be the cause of the timer calibration problem.
Normally, MOL copies a few properties from the hardware device tree
to the device tree presented to MacOS (CPU frequency, bus frequency
and the timebase frequency). You could try altering these
properties in /usr/share/mol/0.9.66/oftrees/oftree.nw. I'm not
sure if these properties are really used though. MacOS normally
performs a calibration of its own.

Do you see a

	'Fixing timer calibration (some frequency)'

line in to log? Also, what is the timebase frequency according
to MOL?

Cheers,

/Samuel