Studying the case

marco mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:56:44 -0400

Hi all.
I'm very new in this list, my english is not  so good and I've never
use MOL.
I'm a graphic-designer and a not so politically correct user of macs
since 1989.
I now GNU-Linux too since 1997.
Ethically I would use only free software but my job requires some
non-free soft to be used.

I'm running MacOsX 10.2 (Jaguar) on my "old-world" G3-233 (overclocked
to 266) and it is very slow.
The slower thing is to launch the apps, and when they are launched I
can work and there is no "bomb" like macOs9 provide so often. The most
annoying is the lack of option to configure Aqua, to make it lighter
for such a machine.

I can work on quarkXpress in classic mode and I can work on for example
abiword or gaim with Xdarwin.

I installed MacOsX because of the "unix-like" feature but I'm tired of
its slowness.

There come the questions :

- Do you think that running macos9 on mol is a good solution for me ?
- Can someone give me some feedback on a such experience ?
- What about the loss of performances ?

If you have some links or other documentation...

thanks

--
marco