MOL Compiling (cont)

Dan Brunet mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 15:20:05 +1000

on 5/9/02 5:55 AM, Arch & Cath at archandcath23@comcast.net wrote:

> Finally got everything compiled and made and copied vmlinux and System.map
> into /boot and vmlinux into linux Kernels folder in the Mac System folder.
> Selected my new system in the BootX control panel.  System starts to boot,
> however, stops and asks me to sign in root because of file problems.  When I
> try the usual "fsck /dev/sdc" I get "Superblock could not be read or does
> not describe a correct ext2 file system".   When I go back to the old kernel
> everything works.

That sounds a little troublesome.. What format is your root filesystem? Did
you compile Second Extended AND ext3 filesystem support into the kernel?

> I am still a bit confused about how the kernel works in a Mac.   If it boots
> from the kernel in the Mac System folder, why do we need the one in /boot?

There's no need to install any kernels into /boot when using BootX.. However
If you plan to use the Quik bootloader you will need to have a kernel in
/boot.

> All of the PPC kernel rebuild procedures I got off the web (Newbie & Linux
> PPC Kernel) say to start in /usr/src/linux which is what I have done.
> Belatedly I read the 2.4.xx READ ME and it says  "Do NOT use the
> /usr/src/linux area!"   Have I farkeled the library header files in
> /usr/src/linux?

/usr/src/linux should be a symbolic link to the directory which your current
source is located (/usr/src/linux-2.4.xx).. ls /usr/src/linux -l to view the
symlink's target.

It's always a good idea to keep the symlink /usr/src/linux up to date with
the current kernel source you're using as many programs rely on the headers
in the kernel source for compilation.

To create the symlink, use the command; ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.4.xx
/usr/src/linux

> It appears to me that I now have kernel files in /usr/src/linux, /root and
> the Mac System folder!  Which one is actually being used?   Should i start a
> build over in some other file system?  How do I restore the library headers?

The only kernel being used is the one in your System Folder. When you boot
from BootX the kernel file is copied into memory and then the file is left
untouched.. I am not aware of any way to find the file name or location of
the current kernel in use.

Good luck.

Regards,
Dan