MOL Compiling (cont)

Stew Benedict mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 06:55:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Dan Brunet wrote:

> on 5/9/02 5:55 AM, Arch & Cath at archandcath23@comcast.net wrote:
>
> > Finally got everything compiled and made and copied vmlinux and System.map
> > into /boot and vmlinux into linux Kernels folder in the Mac System folder.
> > Selected my new system in the BootX control panel.  System starts to boot,
> > however, stops and asks me to sign in root because of file problems.  When I
> > try the usual "fsck /dev/sdc" I get "Superblock could not be read or does
> > not describe a correct ext2 file system".   When I go back to the old kernel
> > everything works.
> >

> That sounds a little troublesome.. What format is your root filesystem? Did
> you compile Second Extended AND ext3 filesystem support into the kernel?
>
> > I am still a bit confused about how the kernel works in a Mac.   If it boots
> > from the kernel in the Mac System folder, why do we need the one in /boot?
>
> There's no need to install any kernels into /boot when using BootX.. However
> If you plan to use the Quik bootloader you will need to have a kernel in
> /boot.
>
> > All of the PPC kernel rebuild procedures I got off the web (Newbie & Linux
> > PPC Kernel) say to start in /usr/src/linux which is what I have done.
> > Belatedly I read the 2.4.xx READ ME and it says  "Do NOT use the
> > /usr/src/linux area!"   Have I farkeled the library header files in
> > /usr/src/linux?
>
> /usr/src/linux should be a symbolic link to the directory which your current
> source is located (/usr/src/linux-2.4.xx).. ls /usr/src/linux -l to view the
> symlink's target.
>
> It's always a good idea to keep the symlink /usr/src/linux up to date with
> the current kernel source you're using as many programs rely on the headers
> in the kernel source for compilation.
>
> To create the symlink, use the command; ln -sf /usr/src/linux-2.4.xx
> /usr/src/linux

Thsi advice does not always apply these days.  Many distributions now ship
kernel-headers that were used to build glibc as a seperate package, and
the kernel-source symlinks no longer exist. In most cases it is better to
build user-space programs using the same kernel headers that were used for
your running glibc.

Stew Benedict

--
MandrakeSoft