OS X 10.2 problems

Rob Pfile mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 16:00:52 -0700

first of all, i have to say how awesome MOL really is, and how great
it is that it can now boot OS X.

its mostly working for me, but i have the following problems:

- video

   i have a radeon AGP card which is not really well supported in
   linux. i've always had intermittent problems with virtual console
   mode, but for the most part, with 0.9.60,  both x-windows mode and
   console mode worked okay.

   however, now with 0.9.65, the x-windows colormap is always screwed
   up, osX or os9. could this have something to do with the support for
   little-endian machines? is there a way to force the endianness of
   the display when starting mol? if i start up against my x86 box the
   colors are okay, but then mol crashes for some reason.

   also, i get a blank gray screen while starting up in console
   mode... no apple or spinning thingy.
   the video eventually fixes itself when the login screen shows up.

- sound

  i know sound is not supported for osX yet. a strange possible byproduct of
  this is that iMovie won't play clips.

- networking

  at first i couldnt get anything working, but then i realized that
  OSX booting defaults to tun, and i dont have the ipchains stuff
  installed. so i switched back to sheep, which what i was always using
  for os9 previously under 0.9.60.

  so after setting osX up to use sheep, i was able to configure the
  interface and ping the linux box's ip address. i can resolve
  hostnames using nslookup and dig. i can telnet to port 80 of my
  linux box and issue http requests by hand. but curl, mozilla,
  etc. do not work. mozilla hangs while resolving hostnames. its
  pretty strange. the networking under os9 on 0.9.65 works fine. if i
  boot the whole machine into osX, networking is fine.

  any ideas?

- misc

  (osX) my hard disk icon disappeared... i can still click above the
  title and open the disk though.

  seems like when switching VTs, MOL is a lot more likely now to think
  that one of the modifier keys is stuck down, at least in osX.

thanks,

rob