OS X 10.2 problems

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 13:29:06 +0200

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 04:00:52PM -0700, Rob Pfile wrote:

> first of all, i have to say how awesome MOL really is, and how great
> it is that it can now boot OS X.
>
> its mostly working for me, but i have the following problems:
>
> - video
>    i have a radeon AGP card which is not really well supported in
>    linux. i've always had intermittent problems with virtual console
>    mode, but for the most part, with 0.9.60,  both x-windows mode and
>    console mode worked okay.
>
>    however, now with 0.9.65, the x-windows colormap is always screwed
>    up, osX or os9. could this have something to do with the support for
>    little-endian machines? is there a way to force the endianness of
>    the display when starting mol? if i start up against my x86 box the
>    colors are okay, but then mol crashes for some reason.

Could you send my the output of xdpyinfo off list (and the mol log)? I did
add support for 16 bit video (mol used to supported depth 15 only).
You could try changing the depth of the X-server to 24 too.

>    also, i get a blank gray screen while starting up in console
>    mode... no apple or spinning thingy.
>    the video eventually fixes itself when the login screen shows up.

The MOL logo only appears in depth 24 (for now). There should be some
kind of spinning wheel though.

> - networking
>
>   at first i couldnt get anything working, but then i realized that
>   OSX booting defaults to tun, and i dont have the ipchains stuff
>   installed. so i switched back to sheep, which what i was always using
>   for os9 previously under 0.9.60.
>
>   so after setting osX up to use sheep, i was able to configure the
>   interface and ping the linux box's ip address. i can resolve
>   hostnames using nslookup and dig. i can telnet to port 80 of my
>   linux box and issue http requests by hand. but curl, mozilla,
>   etc. do not work. mozilla hangs while resolving hostnames. its
>   pretty strange. the networking under os9 on 0.9.65 works fine. if i
>   boot the whole machine into osX, networking is fine.

Well, the OS X mode uses a new network driver. I believe there is a bug
which prevents it from working with the sheep driver. I must admit
I've never tried this combination.

I'll investigate. MacOS will use this new network driver too eventually...

>   (osX) my hard disk icon disappeared... i can still click above the
>   title and open the disk though.

Yes, I've noticed this problem (occurs only under 10.2). Possibly, the
disk driver is supposted to supply a default icon. As a workaround, it
is possible to paste a custom icon.

>   seems like when switching VTs, MOL is a lot more likely now to think
>   that one of the modifier keys is stuck down, at least in osX.

The code which is responsible for avoiding this problem is not active
for OS X. I'll address it in the next release.

/Samuel