No HFS[+] filesystem found

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:50:56 +0200

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 10:39:05AM -0400, Isaac Ordonez wrote:
> hello,
>
> I set up firwire support correctly.  I set up MOL as the manual says
> to.  Now When I try and boot off my drive it gives me errors.  First it
> recognises sda9 as a HFS+ partition but then it tells me it's not.  Has
> anyone seen anything like this?

No... I haven't seen this before.

> HFS  images/moldisk.i MOL                <read-only>     0 MB
> HFS+ /dev/sda9        Firewire HD        <read-write> 57258 MB BOOT
> ----> (disk_open) Opening /dev/cdrom: No medium found
>
> /dev/sda9: No HFS[+] filesystem found
> Searching images/moldisk.im for a 'Mac OS ROM' file
> images/moldisk.im: No 'Mac OS ROM' file found
>
> --- No bootable disk found ---
> No newworld ROM was found
> cleaning up...
> ---> DHCP server not installed
> Terminating threads...
> DONE

Well, MOL first just inspect the volume in order to determine
which kind of volume it is. Apparently, this code correctly
identifies it as a HFS+ disk.

Next, MOL tries to open the boot disk using a compiled-in version
of hfs+ utils (in order to load the MacOS ROM file). Apparently,
this step unexpectedly fails. The 'No HFS[+] filesystem found' error
simply means that the volume_open step failed. The error probably occurs
when the the catalog btree is setup.

A number of printfs in the function volume_open in src/lib/hfsplus/volume.c
would be useful to pinpoint the problem.

A workaround of this problem is avoiding using the hfs+ utils code
by copying the MacOS ROM by hand to the linux side and adding

	newworld_rom:	/path/to/Mac_OS_ROM

to /etc/mol/molrc.macos. Make sure the ROM is copied as a binary
(MOL will complain that the file is not an ELF image otherwise).

Cheers,

/Samuel