MOL on MacOSX

Jamie Maynard mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:03:34 +0200

Well lets see where can I begin, I'll start of talking about "Classic" I
think as this is normally why most people would want to run Mac OS 9 in a
Window.  Classic is/was a nice idea for running Mac OS 9 programs under Mac
OS X.  The whole thing is patch so Mac OS 9 programs can interact and send
AppleEvents to other programs but the whole thing is limited.  It doesn't
provide you with the traditional Mac OS 9 desktop, its not isolated from Mac
OS X so it bad from a testing point of view and there are really times when
it is more preferable to have Mac OS 9 programs in a window all of there
own.

Now then there's Darwin, Mac OS X's smaller sibling.  There are several
people out there trying and using Darwin as a full fledged version of
Unix/Linux in its own right and that does not have any way to run
traditional Mac programs at all, so these people are possibly looking for
ways to run the existing Mac programs they have with out having to resort to
having to restart their machines to use them.

Then theres people who Dual-Boot Mac OS X and Linux.  As we all know it is
now possible to run Linux under Mac-on-Linux so switch that the other way
round.  It would hopefully be possible to run Linux on Mac OS X which would
provide a great teaching area for people wanting to use and play around with
Linux with out getting lost or out of their depth just running Linux on its
own.  They would get the ability to run Mac OS X as their OS of choice and
run Linux in a comfortable Window on their desktop.

Then there's programmers.  Now Mac-On-Linux supports the running of Mac OS X
there is huge potential for use by programmers to test new drivers,
applications and other things they are working on, with out wanting to risk
their currently set and running system.

Then there's Server Applications.  It has been seen since the creation of
things link VM Ware, MOL and the link that there is a need to be able to run
several virtual computers on the one box for server applications.  MOL now
provides this facility in Linux both for Linux, Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X
programs.  To see this under Mac OS X server I am sure would be appreciated
by Users everywhere.

Now there's me, I would like to see and use my Mac OS 9 programs running in
a Window.  I find my performance under MOL a lot faster than under Classic,
possibly as I read somewhere cause Classic is just a runtime environment,
but I'm not sure what affect that would have on performance.  Also I would
like to be able to test new stuff in a Window on my machine with out risking
the stability of everything else that I am running, with out having to
restart while I am trying it out.

The last reason I can think of for wanting Mac-On-Linux on Mac OS X/Darwin
would just be because it would be just so cool words can't express how cool.
I think once Samuel has finished getting Mac OS X-on-Linux working how he
wants it to be working, he should again turn his eyes back on getting MOL
running first on Darwin as their need is greater and then under Mac OS X
with a cocoa Interface on it and a nice Icon which can be used from the
Applications Folder :)

So I think that really explains why people would want to run MOL under Mac
OS X and Darwin.  The need like I say is greater on Darwin as there is
presently no means of getting any Mac applications running, classic is
closed source and not a part of any Darwin installation around.  The need
for support under the full Mac OS X is also quite large.  For me the whole
Mac-on-Darwin/Mac and Linux-on-Mac OS X is a project I will follow quite
closely and one I am really looking forward to seeing.  I think its time I
sat down and created a Wish list for MOL I have loads of suggestions, hope
you don't mind Samuel.

Very Happy MoL user.

Jamie aka Wyld Devil