old world boot or new world boot on Powerbook G3 (Kanga)

mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 21:08:27 +0900

Ulrich

Many thanks for the reply.

>>  There is no Mac OS ROM file in my system folder. If someone can put me
>>  out of my misery I'd be very grateful.
>
>You need to look through that original CD of yours, the ROM file should
>be in there somewhere. I had the same problem on a beige G3 desktop, and
>found the ROM on my 9.1 CD.

I'm finding the whole set up requires a fair bit of guess work and trial
and error. After reading the documentation again I decided to download the
Ethernet Update 1.0.smi from the maconlinux web site extract it using the
tome viewer (also from the site) and chuck it in my system folder.

As of 30 mins ago I can now get my Mac partition to boot in full screen
mode and for anyone who's interested my molrc file is pasted inline below.
My Mac partition is on /dev/hda10

When I installed Yellow Dog Linux my setup was classified as old world but
as far as MOL is concerned my setup seems to be new world. Very confusing.

I couldn't find all the key shortcuts I needed in the documentation either
so I just did what I normally do: started pressing combinations of keys
until I found some that worked:

After booting the Mac partition from Linux:
ctrl-option-F7  switches back to Linux
ctrl-option-F8  switches back to Mac

I haven't found how to get the Mac partition to appear in a console window
yet. I thought that was:
ctrl-option-F9
but if I do that I only get a black screen. Are you able to get Mac OS
appearing in a console window?

Also I presumed that it would be possible to copy and paste from Mac OS to
Linux and vice versa. Am I wrong?

friendly

Ian Masters

#-*-makefile-*-################################################
#
#  Mac-on-Linux configuration file (molrc)
#
#  MOL looks for this resource file in the following places
#
# 	$MOLRC			(if started as root)
#	/etc/molrc-hostname
#	/etc/molrc
#
#  All paths are relative /usr/lib/mol
#

#	First, make sure boot_method below is set appropriately. The
options are
#
#	newworld	This is most probably what you want. MOL boots
directly from
#			the "Mac OS ROM" file in the system folder. The ROM
file might be
#			missing on pre-iMac machines (it is possible to use
the free application
#			'tome viewer' to extract the file from the MacOS
installer).
#
#	oldworld	MOL boots MacOS using a boot-rom. Only certain old
boot ROMs are
#			supported (in particular, machines similar to the
PowerMac 8500
#			are supported). You probably do not want to do an
oldworld
#			boot unless you have a very old version of MacOS
(<= 8.5).
#
#	macosx		Boot MacOS X (or Darwin). Not yet fully working.
#
#	linux		Boot Linux. Not yet fully working.

boot_method:	newworld

####################################
# Newworld settings
####################################

#	By default, MOL loads the 'Mac OS ROM' file directly from the
startup disk.
#	If this is not desirable (e.g. if the ROM happens to be
incompatible and
#	it is desirable to use another version), the ROM can be loaded from
linux
#	by using the newworld_rom keyword

#newworld_rom:		rom/rom.nw

####################################
# Oldworld settings
####################################

#	The following applies to oldworld booting ONLY:
#
# 	You should in general use a ROM-image and an oftree description
# 	file from the same machine, or from a closely related machine.
# 	If no ofree image is available (or if it doesn't work),
# 	try all the files in the oftrees directory /usr/lib/mol/oftrees.
#
# 	If the lines below are commented, then the ROM/oftree of the
# 	machine running the software will be used (see doc/mol/Status
# 	for more information)
#
#	Sometimes it might be necessary to set 'processor' below to 4.
#	(Do this only if 8 does not work)
#
#	Note: Do NOT use the "strip_nwrom" command on non-newworld images!
#

rom_image:		rom/rom.8500
oftree:			oftrees/oftree.8500

####################################
# Session save/restart (newworld only)
####################################
#
# 	By pressing F12, the MOL session can be saved to
# 	disk. The next time MOL is started, the session will be
# 	restarted (very rapidly).

session_file:		/tmp/mol_session	# Typically has a size of
30-130 MB

####################################
# Emulation parameters
####################################
#
# 	processor values:  601, 602, 603, 604, G3 (750), G4 (7400)
#
#	In general, you should not set 'processor'. MOL will automatically
#	determine which processor model it should emulate.
#
# NOTE [603 users]
#	Run MOL in 604 mode, or preferably, in G3 mode (G3 mode is default)
#
# NOTE [boot-ROM booting]:
#	Some boot-ROMs might not run in G3 mode. If so, try 604 mode instead.
#
# NOTE [601 users]
#	Always run in 601 mode (default)
#
# NOTE [G4 users]
# 	If the linux kernel lacks AltiVec support, it is necessary to
# 	explicitly disable the altivec unit below. MOL will probably crash if
#	this is not done. More importantly, 2.2 kernels without altivec support
#	MIGHT PANIC DUE TO A KERNEL BUG.

# processor:		G3

ram_size:		128	# should probably be increased
disable_altivec:

####################################
# HFS volumes
####################################
#
# blkdev:	device	flags
#
# 	Device can for instance be /dev/hda, /dev/hda6 or /dev/sda4.
# 	The following flags are supported:
#
# 	-rw/-ro		read-write / read-only [default]
#	-force		export non-HFS partitions (be careful!)
#	-cd		CD
#	-boot		boot from this disk

blkdev:         	/dev/hda10      -ro
blkdev:         	/dev/hdb        -ro
blkdev:         	/dev/sda        -ro
blkdev:         	/dev/sdb        -ro
blkdev:        	/dev/cdrom      -cd
blkdev:        	/dev/sr0	-cd

# WARNING:
#	Make sure you have backups of any important data before enabling
# 	read-write permissions. Disk corruption in conjunction with
# 	MOL has been reported (most probably due to a conflict with
RamDoubler 9).
#
#	You might want to change the entries above to something
# 	like 'blkdev /dev/hda6 -rw -boot'.
#
# Note 1:
#	If there is an error 'file system map inconsistent' during boot,
# 	then write privileges should be enabled (this appears to be a MacOS bug
# 	which sometimes prevents booting from a locked volume).
#
# Note 2:
#	Which volume MacOS tries to boot from is dependent
# 	upon the order of the blkdev lines above.
#

####################################
# Mouse
####################################
#
# 	One of the following mouse settings should probably be used:
#
#	 device		protocol
#	-------------------------
#	 /dev/usbmouse,	  usb		# might work with ADB too
#	 /dev/input/mice, usb		# might work with ADB too
#	 /dev/adbmouse,	  adb
#	 /dev/mouse,	  ps2
#	     -		console		# for old kernels

# mouse_device:		/dev/input/mice
mouse_protocol:		usb		# usb (ps2), adb, console
mouse_dpi:		140
use_x_cursor:		yes		# use X cursor as mouse cursor

####################################
# Ethernet
####################################
#
# netdev:	device [-sheep | -tap | -tun]
#
#	Note: It is possible to configure up to three network
# 	interfaces simultaneously.
#

#netdev:		tap0
netdev:			eth0

#######################################
# Video configuration
#######################################

# Startup resolution and depth (used as a *HINT* only)
resolution:		800/600/75		# width/height[/Hz]
depth:			15

# X-display to be used ($DISPLAY is used if commented)
#xdisplay:		remote.host.address:0.0

# The tool 'molvconfig' configures the fullscreen modes.

start_on_console:	yes	# switch to console initially
autoswitch_console:	yes	# allow automatic switching to console
enable_console_video:	yes	# Full-screen video is *much* faster than
X-video
enable_xvideo:		yes	#
use_backing_store:	no	# Set to 'yes' only if the X-server is remote.
#vt:			9	# VT-number to use for full-screen video

# For VNC information, visit http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

enable_vncvideo:	no	# Enable the VNC server
vnc_port:  		5900	# port to use for VNC

####################################
# Keyboard
####################################
#
#	Almost all Apple keyboards have an unique ID, and it affects how MacOS
#	deals with key map tables and such. Unless a non-Roman script system
#	is used, modification of this ID will have no great effect.
#
#	Hint: For ADB keyboards, the ID might be printed during bootup:
#		.....
#		adb devices: [2]: 2 22 [3]: 3 1
#		       	      ^     ^
#		       	      |     +- The second number ("22" here) is the
keyboard ID.
#			This "2" indicates that it's an ADB keyboard.
#
#	Sample IDs:
#
#	   1  Apple Standard Keyboard
#	   2  Apple Extended Keyboard
#	   4  Apple ISO Keyboard
#	   5  Apple Ext. ISO Keyboard II
#	  22  JIS Apple Keyboard II
#	 195  PowerBook Titanium, iBook
#	 200  JIS USB Keyboard
#

keyboard_id: 5

#	Older kernels in general use ADB keycodes. MOL tries to auto-detect
#	whether ADB or linux keycodes are used, but this setting can be forced
#	by uncommenting the following line:

#use_linux_keycodes:	yes

####################################
# Keyboard Customization
####################################

#	When a key is pressed, MOL sees its associated keycode (unfortunately,
#	the same key on different keyboard models sometimes gives different
#	keycodes). Thus, it might be necessary to tell MOL what adbcode
#	a particular key should have (MOL uses ADB codes to represent
#	keys). To find out what adbcode a particular key should have, please
#	consult the figure 'doc/mol-0.9.XX/adbcodes.gif'.

#	It might be necessary to manually tune the keyboard mapping to get
#	it completely right.
#
#remap_key:	keycode     adbcode
#remap_xkey:	xkeycode    adbcode
#
#	remap_key affects full-screen mode while remap_xkey affects X-mode.
#	Note that the keycode and the xkeycode for a particular key are
#	different. To find out the keycode for a particular key, uncomment
#	the following line, start MOL, and press the key.
#
#show_key_trans:	 yes
#
#	Instead of using multiple remap_key/remap_xkey lines, the keycodes
can be put
#	into a separate file. The lines should contain 'keycode: adbcode'
pairs.
#
#kbd_file:	filename
#xkbd_file:	filename
#
#	Unless the following line is uncommented, MOL will try to
#	auto-configure the keyboard (in X-mode). For U.S. keyboards (and
#	in particular for remote-X connections), this give a good result.
#	If a non-US keyboard layout is used, it is sometimes better to
#	disable this feature.
#
#disable_xkey_remap:	yes

####################################
# Console video gamma
####################################
#
#	Gamma correction for the display. "gamma" takes one floating
#	number between 0.1 and 10.0 or three floating numbers specifying
#	each R, G, and B value separately. A larger value gives a
#	brighter display. No correction is made when the value is 1.0.
#	Please note that the xvideo mode is not affected by this setting.

gamma:		1.0			# one value for all RGB
#gamma:		1.0 1.0 1.0		# R G B separately

# Sound

play_startboing:	yes		# Play startboing
disable_osi_sound:	no		# Disable sound?

# Misc

logfile:		/tmp/mol-logfile	# only used in debugger mode