old world boot or new world boot on Powerbook G3 (Kanga)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
06 Apr 2003 17:18:55 +0200

> As of 30 mins ago I can now get my Mac partition to boot in full screen
> mode and for anyone who's interested my molrc file is pasted inline below.
> My Mac partition is on /dev/hda10
>
> When I installed Yellow Dog Linux my setup was classified as old world but
> as far as MOL is concerned my setup seems to be new world. Very confusing.

No, you are mixing up. Your setup is OldWorld, that's a fact. What
you do with MOL is wether it "emulates" an OldWorld boot mecanism
or a NewWorld boot mecanism, that is basically you either emulate
an OldWorld machine or a NewWorld machine. You can do both.

I don't recomment using OldWorld booting, unless you are stuck with
some old MacOS version that doesn't quite work with MOL's NewWorld
boot mecanism. NewWorld boot in MOL is now the way to go, it allows
you to run any MacOS including the more recent ones.

Now, the problems you are having come from the fact that you are
trying to boot your existing MacOS which was installed for an OldWorld
machine and so doesn't understand what MOL gives it when doing NewWorld
booting. Which is why you need to get that ROM image that MacOS didn't
install by default.

Another possibility is to boot your MacOS install CD from MOL in
NewWorld mode, and then re-install MacOS over the previous one, that
should keep your setup intact and just add the missing files.

Ben.