Getting started: Beige G3 and Mac OS X

Carlos Izquierdo mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 02:22:10 +0200

	Hi all,

	I've been using Debian PPC for a while on a beige G3 (OldWorld). I have a
small partition with Mac OS 8.1 which I use mainly to boot Linux through
BootX. Recently a friend of mine lent me his Mac OS X 10.2 CDs to give it a
try, and I thought it would be nice to run it under MOL :-) However, I can't
even boot the CD. The following error occurs when I run "startmol --cdboot"
(after configuring video):

>> Mac-on-Linux OpenFirmware 0.9.12
>> Searching Mac_OS_X_CD for a 'Mac OS ROM' file

>> --- No bootable disk was found! -----------------------------
>> If this is an oldworld machine, try booting from the MacOS
>> install CD and install MacOS from within MOL.

	If I add the -X switch (startmol -X --cdboot), the message evolves into
something even more exotic :-)

Can't read Elf32 image header
Fatal error: drivers/bootx is not an ELF image

	I don't know if I need a ROM file since I'm trying to start a recent OS. The
downloads page lists ROMs for Mac OS Classic only....

	I must confess I'm somewhat lost right now. Has anybody tried MOL with a
similar configuration and can point me in the right direction to get this
working? If not, can anybody explain me the MOL boot process so I can figure
out where the ROMs, Mac OS, the partitions, etc fit in?

	Thank you in advance,

		Carlos