0.9.69 is sooo sloooooooow

Jason Simpson mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:52:45 -0700 (PDT)

I just recently did an 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' on my dual 604
Debian unstable box, where it rev'd MoL to 0.9.69 and installed new kernel
sources. I looked around on the net for what might have changed in the
kernel to warrant new sources, and I got the impression that something was
added to increase MoL stability on SMP machines. So, I recompiled my
kernel with the new sources and recompiled the MoL modules, but mol.o kept
complaining about not finding the 'hash_table_lock' symbol, which is what
I thought had been updated.

I doublechecked the kernel sources and saw that 'hash_table_lock' had not
actually been exposed, so I manually applied to patch to do so, recompiled
the kernel again, and fired up MoL. It takes 15 minutes for MoL to boot
MacOS 9.2 now.

At idle, MoL is taking 95% of one CPU.

What's going on here? Has anyone else experienced such slowness? 0.9.68
didn't have this trouble, and, actually, I never ran into any problems
running it on this SMP machine to begin with. Since 0.9.69 seems to
require the 'hash_table_lock' to be exposed for it to run, it's odd that
the kernel sources didn't have the patch to expose it already
incorporated.

	-jrs