OT: Best PowerPC distro?

Bill Fink mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 02:11:45 -0400

Hi Eric,

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Eric Volker wrote:

> Since everyone here is running PowerPC Linux in one form or another, I
> thought this would be a good place to get recommendations on a PowerPC
> distribution. I'm currently running Mandrake 9.1rc1 which has a
> tendency to crash and some parts of it just don't work. I've also tried
> to install Mandrake 8.2 (installer locks up when writing the bootloader
> to disk) and Debian (can't get jigdo to work right.) The consensus of
> my local LUG is Yellow Dog, but I was wondering what all of you thought.

I'm not an expert on different distros for PPC Linux, but I find
YellowDog Linux to be an excellent distro in general.  I started
with LinuxPPC and migrated to YellowDog and have stuck with that
ever since with no major regrets.  I run it on a wide variety of
PPC systems without any significant problems.  I'm currently running
YDL 2.3 but am looking forward to upgrading to the new 3.0 which has
several major improvements (some of which I already have such as
XFree86 4.3.0 and mozilla 1.2.1).  YDL 3.0 is supposed to include
yum which should greatly simplify the administration of multiple
systems (I personally prefer yup/yum over apt as I find it simpler
and more intuitive to use although YDL also supports apt).

						-Bill